Do you have a ripped or torn ear lobe? Let me share Karen’s story. It might speak to you. Karen loved jewelry. So when I ran into her after three years of not seeing her, I totally noticed that she wasn’t wearing earrings.
My jeweler antenna started quivering. In what world would the vivacious Karen not wear earrings? Evidently the world where one ear lobe slowly ripped over time until a dance party and a heavy earring finished the job. Ouch.
I usually notice when a friend of mine or future client is not wearing earrings. It’s often because one ear lobe is torn Partially or fully.
Do You Have Ear Lobe Droop?
Ear lobe droop is caused by earrings tipping forward until they’re facing downward. Not only is this unattractive, it’s hard on your ears and ear holes. And one of the causes is ripped or enlarged ear holes.
A Torn Ear Lobe is A Huge Bummer
This totally limits your choices in which earrings to wear. Today I’ll be talking about possible solutions to get you back into your pretty earrings. Seriously you need to wear your earrings!
What Solutions Are You Using?
I’ve come across people who grew their hair to cover their lobes. I’ve seen people like Karen, who just quit wearing earrings! Don’t do that!
I saw a client who had used tape on the bottom of her lobe to keep an earring high up. That was a good idea until it starts looking funky.
Let’s Talk About Torn Ear Lobes
My jewelry blogging purpose here is to get this out in the open. I mean the feelings of people with torn ear lobes. Why? Because not wearing earrings is not the solution! And believe me people don’t notice half the stuff you think they do.
A torn ear lobe does present problems and I’d like to offer some possible solutions. I’ll start with an article about the plastic surgery for stretched ear lobes, from ABC News. “Surgery Erases a Lifetime of of Heavy Earrings Stretching Your Earlobes.”
You might not be there yet. Whatever level of action you are ready for regarding slightly or fully torn ear holes let’s see if while you wait we can get you back into some earrings.
5 Bummers About Torn Ear Lobes
- A torn ear lobe gives no support to the earring, so it can tilt and give you “ear lobe droop.”
- A torn ear lobe can make the un-pierced cringe if they see the tear.
- A torn ear lobe limits the styles of earrings you can wear successfully.
- A torn ear lobe may rip more if you put heavy earrings in it.
- A torn ear lobe seriously limits your choices of dangly earrings styles.
Six Possible Solutions to Torn Ear Lobes
- Have your jeweler move the post down lower so the earring design rides higher on your lobe and hides your torn ear lobe.
2. To support your torn and weaker ear lobe area, use monster backs, plastic disc backs or Silicone Sliders, which provide support and take the weight of your earrings away from the bottom of your ear hole.
3. Get a plastic surgeon to repair it. By A) sewing it up or B) Sewing it up and adding filler.
4. Choose French Clip Backs with low-set posts. This makes the earring ride higher on your lobe. Traditional French Clip Backs have a post well below the top of the earring and a clip that takes the weight of the earring and holds it upright and pertly.
5. If your post is too high, (in other words if it would totally sag on your ear because it is at the top of your earring, an iffy look even with a normal ear lobe.) lift your earring so the post is at the top of the ear hole and put on the monster back or plastic disc back tightly enough to hold the earring in place. Avoid wire backs, lever backs and drop earrings with tiny or wire tops that expose your ear hole to the full weight of the earring. More tearing can occur from these.
6. Change the tops of your dangly earrings to larger ones that hide the tear when worn with monster or plastic disc backs. If you lift the post to the top of your ear hole and snug your backs in fairly tightly, your earrings will stay up high and not pull on the bottom of your tear. The new larger earring fronts will nicely balance the large backs in gently squeezing your ear lobe to hold your earring so it does not pull on the bottom of your ear hole.
Why You Must Wear Earrings!
Your eyes are the windows to the world. Earrings enhance the beauty of your eyes. You know you spend buckets of money and time on your hair. (I do!) Earrings enhance the gorgeousness of your hair too.
Jewelry is the spice of any outfit. Earrings frame your face and enhance your look beautifully. Don’t leave your most important beauty aid in a box!
What did Karen Do?
My client Karen chose monster backs for her ears and is now wearing earrings again! A visit to the plastic surgeon is on her wish list. But until then a combination of monster backs and choosing lighter weight and large at the top, earrings, is keeping her looking her vivacious gorgeous self. And happily my jeweler antenna is relaxed and happy.
What’s the Takeaway Message Here?
Wear It Don’t Warehouse It. It’s just a torn ear lobe, not a death sentence! Wear your earrings!!
Earring Loving Jeweler,
See other posts in the Ear Lobe Series: