A Gift Unworn, Then Re-Done, Asa’s Tale
The problem was, she didn’t wear it.
She’s in the theatre, and her clothing of choice is California Casual. She felt the beautiful necklace was just too dressy for her lifestyle.
Looking At Asa’s Necklace
So she picked up the phone to call her Santa Barbara Jeweler to talk about how she might be able to California Casual-ify her beloved necklace.
We probably spent more time talking about how Carpinteria is finally going to have a Performing Arts Center and our kids than the necklace, but nevertheless we figured it out.
Asa’s Necklace Problem
The beads and pearls were all gorgeous, and together created a necklace that was too formal for Asa. As we looked at it, I realized that we could create a much more casual feel just by creating space between the pearl and bead elements.
Asa’s Necklace Solution
There were enough pearls and beads in the original necklace to allow us to create two separate necklaces for Asa. Each one more casual than the original.
This gave her more choices in her jewelry wardrobe, and ensured that the beautiful necklace her daughter gave her would be worn and enjoyed for a long, long time.
Asa gets my blue ribbon for applying my motto, “Wear it Don’t Warehouse it!”
Ten Ways to Casual-Ify Your Pearl or Bead Necklace
1. Create space with thin, colored cord between your pearl, gemstone or bead elements
2. Pick a color that is similar to your skin color to make the elements appear to “float” on you
3.Create space using gold or silver chain between the elements
4.Select a chain style with openings, so the elements can be wire wrapped onto the chain
5. Use larger spaces measuring from 1 inch and 1.5 inches between elements for larger pearls or beads.
6. Use smaller spaces measuring from .75 inches to 1 inch between elements for smaller pearls and beads.
7. The most casual look uses one bead or pearl between the space elements.
8. Consider adding small beads on either side of your larger bead or pearl element for contrast to make your beads or pearls really pop.
9. Resist the urge to use many of your pearls or beads. Less is more with California Casual.
10. Leftover beads or pearls can easily be converted into a matching bracelet, earrings, or even a special gift for a friend.
Which one of the 10 ideas could you use?
Your Personal Jeweler,
Feel free to check out some of these pearl blog posts:
Your Pearl Changing Jeweler,