Who’s Going to Be Your Next Jeweler?
As a Santa Barbara Jeweler, I’ve asked my clients, “What do you look for in a jeweler?” If I’ve left out questions you feel should be here for more completeness let me know in the comments section.
Now it’s time to ask yourself some questions to help you make a great choice. Who’s going to be your next Jeweler?
The Sixteen Questions to Ask Yourself When Choosing a Jeweler
1. Does the Jeweler listen to you? Can they answer your questions knowledgeably and understandably?
2. Does he or she really get what you have to say?
3. How long has the Jeweler been in business and what are the chances that they’ll still be there five years from now?
4. Will they be around if your ring needs fixing?
5. Do they repair jewelry? If so, how skilled are they?
6. Would you trust them to repair your inherited diamond ring from your mom? Can they match the antique diamonds from your aunt?
7. Do they treat your jewelry that needs repair with respect? Or say it can’t be done and try to sell you something else?
8. Does the staff seem knowledgeable?
9. Can you trust them with some of your most valuable gemstones?
10. Can they speak about different kinds of settings? Different kinds of gems and their properties?
11. Are they truly a jeweler or a jewelry sales person?
12. If they don’t have what you want, will they search for it and show you samples at a later date? Will they go that extra mile to help you get what you really want? Or are they just trying to sell the jewelry they stock in the display case?
13. Can they design and make custom pieces of jewelry? Can they make something from a sketch you drew on a napkin while you ate at the Olive Garden?
14. Is the Jeweler nice? Is he or she personable? Do you enjoy interacting with him or her?
15. Will they readily recommend another Jeweler if they can’t provide you with what you need? Or do they put down and malign the other Jewelers in the area?
16. If you had a sad and broken piece of antique jewelry or inherited jewelry with a small, antique diamond, would your Jeweler respect it or tell you to melt it and buy something else?
Find a Jeweler who’ll respect meaningful and sentimental jewelry, because when you love it, it’s priceless.
Find a Jeweler Your Friend Trusts
Ask your friends if they can recommend a trustworthy Jeweler – especially someone who’s jewelry you admire. Where did they get that amazing ring? Who set that fabulous amethyst? Who re-sizes their rings?
Find a Jeweler You Trust
Trusting and having a great relationship with a Jeweler gives you a good feeling. If you don’t feel right with someone go somewhere else.
Avoid a Jealous Jeweler
A truly wonderful Jeweler is not a jealous Jeweler. A great Jeweler never gives you a sad face if you’ve bought jewelry elsewhere. Your Jeweler should be excited to see the jewelry you’d like work done on, changed or cared for, whether it’s from them, their competition or some fabulous trip you took.
The Internet Can Help
Search online in your local area for good Jewelers. Look for reviews on Google Local or other review of business sites, like YELP Insider Pages, Superpages, etc.
If the Jeweler you are looking into is on Facebook as a business, you can see what people have to say about them online. You do not have to be a member of Facebook to see the jeweler’s public business page.
Read the comments written by people who go to their page. See what they do and what their reputation is. Local business review sites also often have comments about the jeweler you are looking into.
A great way to check out a jeweler you are considering is to go on Google and in the search window, type in the jeweler or jewelry store’s name and then a dash like this: ABC Deluxe Jewelry – reviews.
That dash review that you type in will pull together all the review sites at one time to show you what other people took the time to write about the jeweler you are checking out. This is how to choose a jeweler!
Go Forth, Choose a Great Jeweler, and Have a Decorated Life!
Your Personal Jeweler,