Jeremy, my husband, added all the “dudes” and all the funny stuff. I’m leaving it in!
I Really Wanted to Know Why the Guy’s Were Shying Away From Buying Jewelry
I don’t know about other parts of the world, but for this Santa Barbara Jeweler the title of this blog is a common lament among Santa Barbara women. “Guys! Why don’t you buy your sweeties jewelry?”
To be fair, some of you do. I know. I’ve sold it to you—and to some, multiple times. Way to go, Dudes!
Over the years I’ve compiled a mental list of excuses from men for why they don’t buy women jewelry. Want to hear some? Here goes.
Fifteen Reasons Men Don’t Buy Jewelry for Women
- “I have no idea what my wife likes.” Dude! Talk to the woman… or talk to her best friend or talk to her Jeweler!
- “She never asks for jewelry.” See #1.
- “The last time I bought her something she exchanged it for something else.” So you give up that easily? Don’t wimp out, man!
- “Jewelry is too expensive.” My son bought his girlfriend a very nice sterling silver necklace for thirty bucks. You don’t have to get her the Hope diamond.
- “She complained about how much it cost.” But secretly loved it. Acknowledge her and move on. She’s wearing it isn’t she?
- “Jewelry is frivolous. It’s unnecessary.” Something that symbolizes undying love is not frivolous.
- “She buys her own jewelry. Why should I?” Because she wants you to, Doofus! It’s a gift; a present. Girls like to be surprised. They dream about being given meaningful gifts from loved ones and telling their friends it’s from you.
- “She buys her own clothes. What’s the difference?” See #7
- “I always get her something for the home.” I don’t care what she says, the last thing she wants for her anniversary is a toaster. There is nothing more tacky than giving the love of your life a toaster or a couch to commemorate your marriage.
- “She has a bunch of jewelry she never wears. The last thing she needs is another ring or pair of earrings.” First of all, 80% of the stuff is probably out of date, broken, and can’t be worn. Secondly, a woman can never have too much jewelry. Period. And again, see #7.
- “It simply never occurred to me.” Well…now you know!
- “I bought her a wedding ring. I’m done. Right?” Not even, Dude!
- “I know nothing about jewelry. How do I know I’m not getting ripped off?” Read reviews on the internet; ask co-workers; ask a couple of jewelry lovers; ask your wife! Ask me! Clients refer people to Calla Gold Jewelry all the time.
- “I have no idea where to buy jewelry. How do I know I can trust them?” See #13
- “Everybody gets jewelry. I want to do something different.” That’s fine. Do something different. I love doing different things! Take her to Hawaii or rafting down the Colorado. Ride bikes across Europe. In the middle of the trip, though…surprise her with a piece jewelry. Now she’ll always be reminded of that something different that you so thoughtfully dreamed up.
Girls, in case your guy happens to fit into one or more of these categories (or one I haven’t mentioned), show him this blog post.
What You Can Do About it
(Guys you can stop reading now, this part is for the ladies)
Let him know you love him and he can actually buy jewelry for you. Hopefully, he’ll take the hint!
Surprisingly Enough Guys Are Not Psychic, Talk to Him
Make it easy for him. Make a jewelry wish list and keep it current. Then, you can tell him that secret agent Calla Gold has the encrypted “loved-jewelry” document under lock and key. All he has to do is call Calla Gold Jewelry Headquarters at and your classified jewelry dreams will be revealed. Or insert your Jeweler’s name to the scenario.
What’s the Takeaway Message Here?
If he’s not giving you jewelry now, change what you’re doing. Stop waiting, stop hinting, just say what you really want. Make it happen.