Do You Have an Ripped or Torn Ear Lobe?
Karen loved jewelry. So when I ran into her after three years of not seeing her I totally noticed that she wasn’t wearing earrings.
My jeweler antenna started quivering. In what world would the vivacious Karen not wear earrings?
Evidently the world where one ear lobe slowly ripped over time until a dance party and a heavy earring finished the job. Ouch.
It is usually noticed when a friend of mine or future client is not wearing earrings. It’s often because one ear lobe is torn.
A Torn Ear Lobe is A Huge Bummer
This totally limits your choices in which earrings to wear. Today I’ll be talking about possible solutions to get you back into your pretty earrings. Seriously you need to wear your earrings!
For the most part I’m talking about an ear lobe that is torn, but not all the way and is still usable. But this also addresses people with fully torn ear holes.
What Solutions Are You Using?
I’ve come across people who grew their hair to cover their lobes. I’ve seen people like Karen, who just quit wearing earrings! Don’t do that!
I saw a client who had used tape on the bottom of her lobe to keep an earring high up. That was a good idea until it starts looking funky.
Let’s Talk About Torn Ear Lobes
My jewelry blogging purpose here is to get this out in the open. I mean the feelings of people with torn ear lobes. Why? Because not wearing earrings is not the solution! And believe me people don’t notice half the stuff you think they do.
A torn ear lobe does present problems and I’d like to offer possible solutions.
Here is an article about the plastic surgery for stretched ear lobes, from ABC News. “Surgery Erases a Lifetime of of Heavy Earrings Stretching Your Earlobes.”
5 Bummers About Torn Ear Lobes
- A torn ear lobe gives no support to the earring, so it can tilt and give you “ear lobe droop” see my post defining ear lobe droop.
- A torn ear lobe can make the un-pierced cringe if they see the tear.
- A torn ear lobe limits the styles of earrings you can wear successfully.
- A torn ear lobe may rip more if you put heavy earrings in it.
- A torn ear lobe seriously limits your choices of dangly earrings styles.
8 Possible Solutions to Torn Ear Lobes
- Have your jeweler move the post down lower so the earring design rides higher on your lobe and hides your torn ear lobe.
- To support your torn and weaker ear lobe area, use monster backs or plastic disc backs, which provide support and take the weight of your earrings away from the bottom of your ear hole.
- Get a plastic surgeon to repair it. By A) sewing it up or B) Sewing it up and adding filler.
- Use Lobe Wonders, which I refer to in my blog post as the Wonder Bra For Your Ear Lobes. They stick to the back of your lobe. You pierce the post through them at the top of your ear hole. Then the post or wire is held firmly at the top of your ear hole and your tear is invisible.
- Choose French Clip Backs with low-set posts. This makes the earring ride higher on your lobe. Traditional French Clip Backs have a post well below the top of the earring and a clip that takes the weight of the earring and holds it upright and pertly.
- If your post is too high, (in other words if it would totally sag on your ear because it is at the top of your earring, an iffy look even with a normal ear lobe.) lift your earring so the post is at the top of the ear hole and put on the monster back or plastic disc back tightly enough to hold the earring in place. Or use Lobe Wonder. (#4)Avoid wire backs, lever backs and drop earrings with tiny or wire tops that expose your ear hole to the full weight of the earring. More tearing can occur from these.
- Change the tops of your dangly earrings to larger ones that hide the tear when worn with monster or plastic disc backs.
Why You Must Wear Earrings!
You know you spend buckets of money and time on your hair. (I do!) Earrings enhance the gorgeousness of your hair too.
Jewelry is the spice of any outfit. Earrings frame your face and enhance your look beautifully. Don’t leave your most important beauty aid in a box!
What did Karen Do?
My client Karen ordered the Lobe Wonders for her ears and is now wearing earrings again! Even hoops, which she hadn’t worn in years. A visit to the plastic surgeon is on her wish list. But until then a combination of lobe wonders and monster backs is keeping her looking her vivacious gorgeous self and my jeweler antenna is relaxed and happy.
What’s the Takeaway Message Here?
Earring Loving Jeweler,
See other posts in the Ear Lobe Series: